Thursday, 11 March 2010

It's been a while!

I can't believe it's been almost a year since I posted anything on this blog! I feel as though I should make excuses but, hey, I've just been doing other things and it's gone to the back of my mind. It happens I guess.

I'm still going strong with Ubuntu. My laptop is upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 and NetBeans 6.8 and that's where I do most work in terms of examples for training courses. My old desktop machine is currently running Xubuntu 9.10 until I get round to a much-needed motherboard and CPU upgrade. That will probably become a test bed for Ubuntu 10.04. The headless server box is on Ubuntu 9.04 with all of the GUI stripped back so it's more like Ubuntu Server. It was running Oracle XE and Glassfish v2 but I replaced those with MySQL and Tomcat as I've not been doing much with EJB. Most of the work done by that box is RAID1 file service, DNS and Subversion

I've nothing against Microsoft operating systems per se but I don't miss the rebooting and what always seemed a painful process of upgrading on Vista. ;)

The past few weeks have been spent looking at Spring 3.0, particularly Spring MVC. I am really liking the new features, especially the simplified web development, and I'll try and get a few posts together over the next month or so.

ps. Just discovered an unpublished draft post from last October about Hibernate and multiple bags. There was probably a good reason why I didn't publish it at the time but it seemed to make sense, so up it went.

No comments:

Followers